- 3 small or 2 large (925g) sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 680g ground turkey
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup onion diced
- 175g part skim mozzarella shredded
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add ground turkey.
- Use a wooden spoon to break apart meat and continue cooking approximately 8 minutes until browned.
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir well to incorporate.
- Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add diced sweet potato and water. Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften.
- Add additional water during this process if needed to keep the meat from drying out.
- Remove lid and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and allow it to melt. Remove skillet from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
Makes 5 servings
- Cals: 560 calories
- Protein: 41g
- Carbs: 48g
- Fat: 23g